G4S match report – RUFC v Norwich

Wales v Thorpe Hesley match report

One part of the G4S Trophy double header, during half time of RUFC’s home game versus Norwich City, and the final 1st Round tie this season. A tough introduction to the competition for newcomers Wales Primary School as they took on two time runners up Thorpe Hesley Primary School. Although, Thorpe Hesley couldn’t take Wales lightly, as just the day before they had put in an impressive performance in the Kinder+ Sport EFL Kids Cup Local Round South, just missing out on a place in the Local Final after narrowly losing to Anston Park Junior School.

It was an open game with both teams creating many chances with free flowing football, which definitely hooked the crowd. Notable chances were Wales from a corner, where the Thorpe Hesley goalkeeper made an impressive save, and one for Thorpe Hesley on the break where the Wales defender showed commitment to the cause to block the shot with his head. Watching the game and not knowing the outcome, you wouldn’t believe the game finished in a 0-0 draw, as both goalkeepers stole the show in this evenly matched first round tie. So it was on to the dreaded sudden death penalties in front of the Kop, with Wales Primary stepping up first on their G4S Trophy debut. Ernie Weaver kept his nerve to put Wales 1-0 up, pressure on William Haywood of Thorpe Hesley. Haywood made no mistake and equalised, 1-1. Next up for Wales Primary was Dylan Betts, who rattled the ball home for 2-1, immediately batting the pressure back on to Thorpe Hesley, with Thomas Marson stepping up. Alfie Lester in the Wales goal made a great save, sending his school through to the Quarter Finals for the first time.

Huge credit to both teams for putting on an impressive display in front of 10,000 fans at the AESSEAL New York Stadium, all the players can be proud of their performance in the game.

St. Joseph’s V Anston Greenlands match report

One part of the G4S Trophy double header at RUFC’s home game versus Norwich City, was a Quarter Final tie between newcomers Anston Greenlands & regular participants St. Joseph’s Catholic Primary from Rawmarsh. Despite regularly entering the competition over the years, St. Joseph’s have never made it past the first round, so they were looking to take full advantage after receiving a bye into this stage of the competition for the first time. After an impressive first round performance, Anston Greenlands were expected to be tough opposition for St. Joseph’s, which made for a very interesting tie.

Anston started the stronger and dominated the opening proceedings, having pot shots at goal and forcing several corners and throw-ins high up the pitch. It was from one of these corners that Greenlands took the lead, the ball being played close to the goalkeeper who unfortunately parried into his own goal. This seemed to spark St. Joseph’s into life, as they began to keep the ball more and be more positive with their passing, which opened the game up. Matthew Frosdick then sent the St. Joseph’s supporters wild when he capitalised as Greenlands struggled get the ball clear of their goal area. You could then sense the confidence start to flow from St. Joseph’s as they started to take control looking for a winner. The St. Joseph’s fan were sent into pandemonium again, when Joseph Potts found the winner they had been seeking late on, with a lovely side footed finish across the goal into the bottom corner.

The final whistle followed Pott’s goal, which meant that St. Joseph’s Catholic Primary, who had reached the quarter finals for the first time, have gone one better and reached the semi-finals.

A huge thank you to both teams for providing such an entertaining half time game, all the players played the game with a great spirit, and are a credit to their respective schools.

Rotherham United Football Club: www.themillers.co.uk
Website: www.rucst.co.uk
Facebook: Rotherham United Community Sports Trust
Twitter: @RU_CST

G4S v norwich